Italy Honeymoon Itinerary: Biking through Tuscany,
South of Sienna
Throughout history, artists have celebrated southern Tuscany with
masterpieces capturing the region's rolling vineyards, golden wheat
fields and distinctive, chalky white hills. Pedal through this same
landscape, where ancient hill towns punctuate the horizon and stately
cypress trees line country roads. From the expansive Val d'Orcia
to the winding ridgeline roads, your eyes are treated to the big
skies and grand vistas typical of the land that produces two of
the classic Tuscan wines: Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Brunello
di Montalcino. Savor these famed vintages and the region's porcini
mushrooms, pecorino cheeses, intensely flavored olive oils and white
truffles. Enhancing the journey: a trio of delightful inns, all
masterpieces in their own right.
Days 1-2: MontefollonicoMeet in Florence
- In the Orcia River Valley, visit Bagno Vignoni, a Roman bath
where Catherine de'Medici was known to linger
- Pedal tranquil roads to the Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore,
the region's most notable monastery
- Explore the complexities of Tuscany's wines at an exclusive
tasting at Enoteca Innocenti.
Day 3: Montepulcian
- Visit Pienza, the birthplace of Pope Pius II and famed for its
stunning Renaissance architecture, romantic streets and delectable
- Journey to Montepulciano, Tuscany's highest hilltop town and
home of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
- Sample an array of delectable antipasti in one of many trattorie
- Roam the city's winding narrow streets and medieval town center
as you make your way to the Piazza Grande, the piazza in Tuscany's
- Cypress-lined roads lead you to the famous honey-colored church
of San Biagio.
Days 4-6: Castelnuovo dell'Abato
- Enjoy the serene landscape blessed by the crete senesi, eroded
clay cliffs definitive of the region
- Delight in the wide open spaces dotted with old stone farmhouses
and olive groves
- Visit Radicofani, a fortress dating to the 10th century
- Explore the quiet roads and hill towns around Montalcino, home
of the world-famous Brunello di Montalcino.
arrange this honeymoon for you.